Satellite: Proof of Concept
Satellite: Proof of Concept
My Goals were to create a satellite dish much like ones that are used in major industry, being able to pivot and adjust to altering scenarios. Using an axel (wood dowel) and cranks (wood dowel and foam core) I was able to create vertical and horizontal motions.
To create the vertical motion I used a winch (wood dowel and foam core) and fishing line guided with some silicone tubing to pull and release the head of the satellite. The head pivots on a lever from the base so that the movement is sturdy. The base being able to pivot in horizontal motion is tethered by an elastic band and fishing line to the winch. both actions relying on the same mechanisms.
Ways I can incorporate motors and sensors into this work is the pivot axel could easily be replaced with a servo hobby motor. This would remove the need for the elastic or spring tether. If for some reason both functions can use a dc motor. Removing the need for the crank, the motor will likely need a gearbox for the amount of torque required.
I'm excited to create several or a larger rendition of this work, incorporating sensors to potentially follow the audience.





Comments
Post a Comment